Client Acquisition Tips for Attorney Marketing
Attracting new law firm clients in 2024 is a top priority for most attorneys, second only to retaining existing customers. Law firm client acquisition is our theme for this month. When looking for the best way to get new law firm clients, it is important to identify the different channels that a prospect can use to find your law firm. Listed below are more than 10 attorney marketing techniques that belong in your 2024 law firm marketing plan.
- Website Marketing: A professional website is one of your most important marketing channels. An effective website will generate leads in two ways. First, it can attract new clients directly because of best practices in search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM). Second, once a prospect learns about you, they are likely to visit your website for more information. In our next article we will address law firm websites in more detail.
- Content Marketing: Great content is a cornerstone of any successful law firm marketing strategy. Your content not only describes what your law firm is about but can work to attract more potential clients via social media, search engines, and blog posts.
- Social Media Marketing: LinkedIn is the most widely accepted social media platform across the legal and business professions. Plus it is free! Any attorney or law firm that does not maintain an active LinkedIn presence is likely to lose business to competitors who are adept at social media. You must be present to win on the Internet. Law firms with a consumer-oriented practice can also tap into the power of Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), YouTube, and other social media outlets.
- Email Marketing: Email marketing has the highest ROI (return on investment) of all forms of marketing, averaging about $36 in return for every $1 spent, according to our partner Constant Contact. You get the benefit of staying visible with your current clients, while also generating new business from both existing accounts and prospects.
- Digital Ad Campaigns: Paid advertising (e.g. Facebook Ads, Google Ads, and LinkedIn Ads) can be effective for law firms looking to attract new clients. These are typically “pay per click” (PPC) campaigns, so you are only charged when someone clicks on your ad. Test the keywords that work best for you, target your audience geographically, and use negative keywords to maximize your response rates and minimize your budget.
- Ask for Referrals: Referrals from satisfied clients can be a powerful way to attract new business. Referrals from non-competing attorneys are also important for lead generation. Developing friendships with attorneys, judges, and legal vendors through your state and local bar associations can be a productive way to have your own silent sales force, ready to send qualified candidates your way. Remember that this is a two-way street, so also refer business to other attorneys when it is not a good fit for you.
- Get Featured in the News: An article in your local newspaper or bar journal can help you reach a wider audience and establish credibility. Submit news of new employees, new offices, or charitable activities in pursuit of news coverage.
- Pick a Niche: Differentiating your legal services from your competitors can help you stand out in a crowded market.
- Build Network Connections: Legal and industry networking events are a great way to meet new people and promote your business. You can also consider hosting your own events to attract potential clients.
- Partner with other Businesses: Partnering with other businesses can help you reach new audiences and attract new clients. Many attorneys find it helpful to work with local accountants, for example, to develop mutually beneficial marketing campaigns.
- Maximize online directories: Submitting your business information to law firm directories (like Martindale, Avvo, or FindLaw) can help users find your business.
Never stop marketing! Take advantage of complimentary our “Courting Your Clients” e-book to help create your own law firm marketing plan.
Related Law Firm Marketing Articles
The “Courting Your Clients” Legal Marketing Agency
We want to serve as your outsourced law firm marketing department! Courting Your Clients is offered exclusively by Legal Expert Connections, Inc., a national law firm marketing agency. We have helped more than 250 law firms in 40+ states pursue new client opportunities as of late 2023. Our focus is on the business-to-business market, including but not limited to business law, insurance defense, employment defense, commercial litigation, and immigration law.
We are experienced in many lines of legal liability and regulatory requirements, including auto, business, construction, cybersecurity, elder law, employment law, ERISA, homeowners, immigration, insurance, intellectual property, premises, products, professional liability, tax, transportation and trucking, trusts and estates, whistleblower, and workers’ compensation.
Our industry knowledge includes education, environmental, forensic accounting, healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, municipal, professional services, real estate, restaurants, and retail.
Legal Expert Connections, Inc. offers three key benefits to law firms nationwide:
- We serve as your outsourced legal marketing department. You get the equivalent of a “Chief Marketing Officer” level professional team for an affordable monthly investment. Our ideal client is a small law firm—from a solo practitioner to a 25-attorney firm—that needs marketing assistance but does not want to incur the cost and management time needed to maintain in-house staffing.
- You get a structured business development process. We accelerate your growth with a multi-step legal marketing campaign that brings discipline, focus, and productivity to your marketing efforts.
- Increase revenue with Bar-compliant legal marketing campaigns. We understand attorney advertising campaigns and can provide guidance in this regard. Ultimate compliance responsibility rests with the law firm.